COVID-19 Update

 Return to Government Restrictions September 27 2021

Memo – COVID-19 Vaccine Protocols for Youth and Adult

EMSA COVID-GUIDELINE 2021-2022 Indoor Season September 20 2021

September 17, 2021 UPDATE:

As expected, the COVID guidelines from various authorities are evolving quite fast.

Based on City of Edmonton latest announcement (link below) and because EMSA games and practices are scheduled at the City of Edmonton Facilities (, EMSA members are subject to the Restrictions Exemption Program requiring individuals 12 years of age and older to provide government-issued proof of immunization

– single dose accepted between September 20 and October 25 if received 2 weeks before time of event; Double doses required after October 25 – or a negative privately-paid COVID-19 test from within the previous 72 hours in order to participate in any EMSA Program during 2021/22 Indoor Season.

EMSA specific Guidelines will be issued shortly.

Again thank you for your cooperation as we navigate through all associations and stakeholder requirements involved.

Return to Government Restrictions September 17 2021 update

Mandatory Proof of Vaccination Status – Soccer Centres

Return to Government Restrictions September 16 2021

(This document is subject to changes once the actual health order is received and any guidance documentation provided by SPAR)

September 16th, 2021: Following last night’s announcement from the Government of Alberta, our Executive Group together with Alberta Soccer and Edmonton Soccer Facilities are working on obtaining further clarification from the Government of Alberta regarding the Restrictions Exemption Program. Once that process is completed we will insure EMSA Program satisfies all these requirements and Indoor Soccer can proceed safely. We are planning to proceed with our 2021/2022 Indoor Season and we will provide our members with an update as soon as possible.
Thank you for doing your part to stop the spread and for your understanding!!!

Return to Soccer – August 13 2021

Alberta Soccer Return to Competition Guidelines – Stage 3 (Effective July 1, 2021) 

Alberta Soccer Extreme Heat Event Guide (June 30, 2021)

Click the Alberta logo to see the Provincial Covid guidelines.


November 24, 2020: State of public health emergency declared in Alberta on Nov 24, 2020

November 6, 2020: ASA COVID-19 UPDATES

October 30, 2020: ASA COVID-19 UPDATES

October 26, 2020: ASA COVID-19 UPDATES

October, 21 2020:EMSA COVID-GUIDELINE 2020/2021 Indoor Season – UPDATE!

October 1st, 2020: EMSA COVID-GUIDELINE 2020/2021 Indoor Season


Alberta Soccer Plan – Phase 2 Return to Modified Games – September 15, 2020 Update

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Edmonton Soccer Association Return to play a success
ESAF return to play

Thursday, August 6th

EMSA UPDATE Letter from the EMSA President to all Members -Indoor Season 2020/2021- (click here)

Thursday, July 2nd

Community players invited to TeamSnap and schedules posted.

Saturday, June 27th

Select FC training starts

Monday, June 15th

June 15 Member Communication R1

Thursday, June 11th

We met with Alberta Soccer last night and have a clear path to return to Training and Soccer. We are working hard to get all protocols in place. You will hear soon from the MWSA BOD with all the details early next week. We hope to see the kids safely back on the pitch soon!

Tuesday, June 9th

Phase 2 Alberta Relaunch:
Premier Jason Kenney announced today that we will be moving to phase 2 of the re-launch on June 12th ahead of schedule.

Mill  Woods Soccer must remain in consultation with Canada and Alberta Soccer as it concerns the re-launch guidelines and strategy. Our meetings to discuss these plans and how the phase 2 will impact soccer will still go on later this week and we hope to have information for our members soon after.

Stay safe , it’s the first step in returning to the field.

Monday, June 1st

EMSA update to members CLICK HERE

Friday, May 22nd

ASA Return to Play (Stage 1) CLICK HERE

Friday, May 15th

Some good news from ASA on steps to get back on the field.  CLICK HERE

Thursday, May 14th


Tuesday, May 5th

We hope this message finds you healthy, safe and in good spirits.  COVID-19 has thrown something at us that most of us have never seen or experienced before and it has changed and will change how we go forward in Sports.  MWSA will remain as transparent as possible, providing pertinent updates regarding soccer, when we receive them from EMSA, ASA, CSA, COE, or AHS.

We all love and miss this great game and look forward to getting back on the pitch.  As always, our main concern is the health and safety of our players, coaches, managers and parents. So if the season does resume, and MWSA remains optimistic, it will resume with modifications to games/practices/technical, in accordance to protocols and restrictions placed upon us by AHS, ASA, CSA and the COE.  These protocols are being formulated at this time, with input from our parent organizations, fellow members, the City and the Health Authorities. As there is no “normal” this season, these modifications may include game/practices per week, field sizes, team sizes and format(4v4, 5v5, 6v6, 7v7, etc.), tournament style or other variations. Whenever the decision to resume is received, we hope to be prepared enough to begin the season  as soon as possible.

At this time, the Selects and all city wide programs will open at the discretion of EMSA.  All community programs, which typically run from late April-early May until late June-early July are at the discretion of MWSA.  We ask you to complete the survey at the end of this message and return it as soon as possible so we can continue to plan and organize a modified season.

For those that are interested in a season that might extend into those periods, we do ask that you stay registered with the program. The reason is that if the season starts, there will be no time to get registration going again, form teams, find officials and schedule games. If the season is ultimately cancelled, full refunds (no administration fees) will be made.

If you are unable, unwilling or uncomfortable playing in the new timeframe, MWSA is offering full refunds (no administration fees). If you decide to take the refund and cancel your registration, it may still be possible to register for the season, but we cannot guarantee any placement as we do not know what availability there will be for the teams. For cancellations, please allow some time for our administrator to process the request. To request a refund, please email Heather at  with the name of your player.

At this time, although the COE has opened the fields to “casual” play, CSA has not released permission for organization or member under CSA’s jurisdiction, to play, practice or conduct any soccer related activity.  Again, we may not violate any physical distancing or group numbers guidelines, as set out by the Health Authorities.

With this in mind, there are online options available to continue personal training.  You must, however, request permission from MWSA. MWSA in return, forwards the request to EMSA/ASA for their approval.

In the meantime, we ask for your patience and understanding and we hope to see everyone on the pitch soon.

Survey link for Community Players:

Survey link for Selects FC Players:

Yours in soccer

MWSA Executive

Friday, May 1st

Unstaffed Natural Grass Sports Fields Notifications

Last updated Friday, May 1, 2020 10:34.

Natural grass sports fields – To User’s Discretion – Open

May 1, 2020 to Oct 30, 2020
Sports fields are open to casual use only. No organized team usage. Please inspect the sports fields and shale infields of diamonds prior to using to determine if safe to do so.

Additional Information

Fields can be closed due to unsafe playing surfaces and to prevent severe turf damage.

If field conditions change, field status changes will be posted by: 4pm (Monday-Friday) and 10am (weekends and holidays) for unstaffed fields.

Note: Teams playing before 10am on weekends and holidays should use their own discretion until the field status is updated.

Visit Sport Fields for more information.

If you want to unsubscribe from this notification please do so from the notification page.
Please add to your safe email list to ensure your subscription is not marked as spam.

Thursday, April 30th

Dear Soccer Community

A friendly reminder that in-person soccer activities are still under a Canada Soccer Suspension. All Districts/Clubs/Coaches/Players are required to adhere to this directive from Canada Soccer!

We appreciate your assistance!

Monday, April 27th

Last week Dr. Hinshaw was asked about the possibility of organized sports and recreation this summer.

Her answer was that the Province will provide a comprehensive relaunch plan that will address sports and recreation as well.

She advised that having spectators at these events will be very unlikely but the overall guidelines will be provided shortly.

She confirmed AHS is looking into this and will provide more information as part of the relaunch process; in the meantime, she is still asking for our collective patience…

EMSAmain President will be discussing this further this Thursday with all Zone Presidents.

Once the Mill Woods Zone has been informed about the planned Alberta Relaunch program and the state of outdoor soccer by EMSAmain we will update you.

Stay Healthy,

MWSA Soccer

Alberta Soccer Updates

COVID-19 Updates

The City of Edmonton will keep Facilities closed until May 31, 2020. EMSA 2020 Outdoor Season will be postponed accordingly. The 2020 Outdoor Season is NOT cancelled at this time. (April 15, 2020)

COVID 19 Announcement 04152020

COVID 19 Announcement 04032020

COVID 19 Announcement 03312020

COVID 19 Announcement 03232020

COVID 19 Announcement 03162020

Please be advised that, as of March 16, 2020 the Mill Woods Soccer office will be closed and all staff will be working remotely until further notice.
We are continuing to prepare for the outdoor season.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.  Be safe and stay well!

Selects FC tryouts have been postponed until further notice. Canada Soccer has suspended all sanctioned soccer activities due to the risk of exposure to COVID-19. 

The health and safety of our soccer community is high priority. Any new developments, will be updated as they transpire. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.




All soccer activities suspended, effective immediately

Canada Soccer has announced the suspension of all sanctioned soccer activities as a precaution to COVID-19.

Effective immediately all soccer related activities shall be suspended, including but not limited to:

  • League games;
  • Playoffs;
  • Practices;
  • Camps;
  • Tryouts/Evaluations;
  • Tournaments.

This decision comes after consulting with the Canada Soccer Sport Medicine Committee, public health authorities and the Provincial and Territorial Member Associations. Canada Soccer will continue to monitor COVID-19 and consult with all public health authorities and relevant governing bodies to provide updates.

For Canada Soccer’s full media release: CLICK HERE.

February 3, 2020


Team Officials, Players and Parents,

There are currently no confirmed cases of the Coronavirus in Alberta and the current risk as of today for Canadians is low. However, the Edmonton Minor Soccer Association would like to take a proactive approach to stop the spread of any germs should the virus become present in our Province.

Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause respiratory illnesses. Some coronaviruses can cause no or mild illness, like the common cold, but other coronaviruses can cause severe illness such as pneumonia.

Typical symptoms of the new strand of virus from China (2019-nCoV) include (but not limited to):
 fever
 difficulty breathing
 cough
 a general feeling of being unwell

The best prevention against Coronavirus is to:
 Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water
 Use alcohol based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available
 Cough and sneeze into your arm, sleeve or a tissue
 Stay home if you are sick
 If your symptoms worsen, visit your doctor or walk in clinic
 Do not share drinking glasses, water bottles, mouth guards or eating utensils

Players who display symptoms should be sent home immediately. Should it be confirmed that one of your players/coaching staff does have the Coronavirus please inform the EMSA office as soon as possible.

ADDITION: Due to a proactive approach to the Coronavirus situation, for the remainder of the regular season, at the end of all EMSA games players will not shake hands, both teams will stand in front of each other and cheer/clap for the other team, and then cheer/clap for the referees. Immediately after they will advance to their respective dressing rooms. This applies to all competitions and all genders and age groups. This procedure will take effect for EMSA League games starting on MONDAY, February 3, 2020.

*information from the Government of Canada health website and the World Health Organization.